- Santiago de Cuba : Complete Travel Guide
- Best Luxury Hotels in Santiago de Cuba : Full List
- Best Casas Particulares in Santiago de Cuba
- 33 Best things to do in Santiago de Cuba
- Best Restaurants in Santiago de Cuba
- History of Santiago de Cuba
- Excursion and Tours in Santiago de Cuba
- How to Get Around in Santiago de Cuba
- How to get to Santiago de Cuba
- Santiago de Cuba Events : Best Carnivals & Festivals
In Santiago, “the choice is difficult” would be an understatement. To find out what’s going on, check out the biweekly Cartelera Cultural. The reception at the Casa Granda Hotel usually has copies.
Santiago de Cuba Nightlife : Best Places to see Live Music
Casa de la Trova
One of Santiago de Cuba’s Absolute musts is the Casa de la Trova.
For Cuban musicians it is an honour to be invited to play here, where all the greatest musicians of Cuba have performed, such as the musicians of Buena Vista Social Club.
Upstairs is a large hall known as the Salón de Grandes Personas.
Daytime concerts are organized downstairs for a minimal cost.
Travel agencies offer evening packages that include transportation, drinks and a CD, but it is cheaper to come on your own.
Evening concerts start at 10pm, but there are often daytime festivities in the downstairs living room.
Please note that you are not allowed to record the music.
- Address: Heredia 208 entre . San Pedro y San Felix 208
- Tel : 22 62 39 43 | 22 65 26 89
- Price : 1 Cuc – 2 Cuc during the day | 5 Cuc in the evening
- Schedules: 11:00 am – 1:00 am.
La Casa is dedicated to the Cuban Trovador pioneer, José “Pepe” Sánchez (1856-1928) and opened his first trova (traditional poetic song) house in Cuba in March 1968.
The former Beatle Paul McCartney once visited; his autographed photo hangs on the wall
Bar la Claqueta
If you are passionate about Salsa Casino, this is a must.
You will find some of the best dancers in the city and even in the country.
There is live music here in the evenings and on weekends.
- Address: Calle Santo Tomás between Heredia y San Basilio.
- Telephone: 22 65 22 43
- Schedule: 9:00 pm to 1:00 am Monday to Sunday
Casa de las Tradiciones
Smaller and more intimate than the Casa de la Trova, is the Casa de las Tradiciones, in a large colonial house with a central courtyard.
An ideal place to come in the evening for an authentic trova, concerts are organized there every evening.
They also have a restaurant for lunch.
- Address: Rabí 154 entre José de Diego y García
- Tel: 22 65 38 92
- Timetable : 21h00 23h30
Casa del Queso
The Artex Patio
The patio of Artex is the first place you have to go if you want to see music in Santiago.
Excellent groups in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere every morning between 11h-13h and 17h-19h.
The program changes every day
If you want to take dance lessons, Leo gives dance classes in the late afternoon, on a voluntary basis.
They also have a restaurant service.
- Address: Heredia 304 enters. Carnicería y Calvario
- Tel: 22 65 48 14
Patio los Dos Abuelos
The Patio de los Abuelos was once one of the bastions of Live music in Santiago de Cuba.
More intimate than La Trova, there is always excellent live music throughout the week.
- Tel : 22 62 32 67 | 22 62 33 02
- Address: 5 Pérez Carbó Street, between l’Escario and Garzón Avenue.
- Price: 2 Cuc
- Hours: 21h-1h from Monday to Saturday
Casa del Caribe
- Address: 13th Street / 8th Street and Manduley Ave. Vista Alegre
- Phone : 22 64 86 09 | 22 64 48 46
- Schedule: 18h00-21h00
- Address: Carnicería 268 / Habana y Trinidad
- Telephone: 22 66 94 43
- Timetable: 21:00-12:00 Tuesday and Thursday
Hotel Casa Granda
At lunchtime, a music band plays in the bar-café under the porch of the Casa Granda Hotel.
Its rooftop bar occasionally offers live music shows and is also a great place to enjoy a drink.
- Address: Calle Heredia 201, Parque Céspedes
- Telephone: 22 65 30 21
Sala de Conciertos Dolores
Old church converted into a concert hall
The calendar of events is displayed externally.
- Address: Plaza Dolores – Aguilera & Mayía Rodríguez
- Tel : 22 62 46 23 | 22 65 23 56
Inspired by its big brother in Havana, Santiago de Cuba’s cabaret offers a complete cabaret for an affordable price.
Hotels and travel agencies offer outings.
It is also possible to go there by taxi or rental car.
- Address: Circunvalación, Reparto Sueño
- Tel : 22 64 25 79
- Price: 30 Cuc / pers the transport (includes transport, entrance, and a drink).
- Timetable : From 10pm Wednesday to Sunday
Best Places to see rehearsals in Santiago de Cuba
the highly renowned Afro-Cuban Ballet Folklórico Cutumba is the first Cuban Ballet, founded in 1959 as a symbol of the cultural triumph of the Cuban revolution.
It is undoubtedly the most prestigious in the whole country, rivaling the national ballet.
When they are not on tour, it is possible to attend rehearsals.
They present a show most Saturday nights at the Las Americas Hotel.
Address: Calle Trocha in Santa Ursula Centro Histórico
- Tel: 22 65 51 73
- Price: 7 Cuc to attend the rehearsal
- Rehearsal times : 09h to 13h Tuesday to Friday
- Comercial Management: Leydis E. Aldana Salazar ( Calle L #101 e/3ra y Ave Cespedes Rpto Sueño) 54 53 99 65 | 22 66 39 61 | 22 66 31 01 | Email : [email protected]
- Office Gestor Ventas : Jorge Jorge Movil 53 14 74 05 | 22 62 02 14 | Email : [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected]
Conjunto Folklórico de Oriente
The Folklorico de Oriente is a branch of the Folklorico Cutumba.
They perform a wide range of Afro-Cuban dance genres, from gagá and bembé to tumba francesa.
- Tel: 22 64 31 78
- Address: Teatro José María Heredia – Esquina Avenue de las Américas & de los Desfiles
Casa de la Cultura
The Casa de la Cultura is another symbol of the cultural triumph of the Cuban revolution. Free courses are offered to the Cuban people.
In the morning you may have the chance to attend the rehearsals of the folklorico Cazumbi, children’s shows or even santiagueros rappers.
Santiago de Cuba Nightlife : Other Cultural Places
Santiago’s huge modern theatre and congress centre was built during the city’s renovation in the early 1990s.
Rock and folk concerts are often held in the 2459-seat Sala Principal, while the 120-seat Café Cantante Niagara hosts more esoteric events.
The Conjunto Folklórico de Oriente is based here.
- Address: Av. de las Américas y Av. de los Desfiles
- Tel : 22 64 31 34 | 22 64 31 90
- Opening hours: Friday to Sunday at 9 pm.
The local office of the Unión de Escritores y Artistas de Cuba (Union ofCuban Writers and Artists) organizes poetry readings, artistic performances, conferences and literary discussions.
Shows for children are presented at 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays in this theatre located near General Portuondo, opposite the Iglesia de Santo Tomás.
- Tel: 22 62 05 07
- Address: Félix Peña n° 313
This cinema, located next to the cathedral, is one of the few currently operating in Santiago de Cuba. Occasional films in English.
- Tel: 22 62 30 35
- Address: Félix Peña No. 654