Medellin Travel Guides
- Best Hotels in Guatapé Colombia
- Best Hostels in Medellin Colombia
- Best Luxury Hotels in Medellin
- Where to Stay in Medellin
- Best Hotels in Medellin Colombia
Top Activities & Attractions
- Best things to do in Medellin Colombia
- Medellin Nightlife : Best Clubs & Bars
- Best Things to Do in Guatapé
Moving there and around
- History of Medellin : Foundation to Pablo Escobar
- What to Eat in Medellin ?
- Medellin Wiki : Geography basics
- History of Guatapé and Peñol’s Rock
Medellin Travel Guide: Essentials
- Best things to do in Medellin : Visit the Poblado, Comuna 13, Travel by Subway and Metro Cable, Viewpoints of the City, Plaza Botero, Jardin Botanico
- Best time to Visit Medellin : All the Year, city of the eternal spring. August: Feria de las Flores
- How to get around Medellin : Best way to move is by Metro. Cabs are quite cheap as well. A
- How many days to dedicate to Medellin : 2 to 3 days is a minimum
- What to eat in Medellin : Bandeja Paisa, Morcilla, Sancocho,Natilla, Frutas
- Where to Stay in Medellin : Poblado, Laureles, Envigado
- Best Hotels in Medellin : Masaya, Selina, Hotel Du Parc
- Medellin Nightlife : Poblado is the best area (Parque Lleras)
- Where to have a drink in Medellin : Poblado has a lot of offer of all kinds
- What to see around Medellin : Guatapé & Roca del Peñol, Santa fe de Antioquia, Jardin, Jerico, Rio Claro
- What to pack for visiting Medellin : Warm clothes for the evening, umbrella or rain coat
- Is Medellin Safe to Travel : Yes absolutely, but just be aware not to be an easy target.
Travel to Medellin FAQ
Is Medellin safe?
Here is the point :
As long as you go to the areas indicated as touristic, you won’t have any problem. But use common sense, if you are not sure about an area you want to visit, ask at your accommodation first.
- More information : Safety in Colombia: Complete Guide
Where is Medellin ?
- Medellín is the capital of the Antioquia Department
- Population : 2.5 million people (2017).
- Entire Metropolitan Region : 3.8 million people.
- Altitude : 1,495 meters above sea level.
- Average Temperature : 72°F (22°C) with little to no humidity gives Medellín its nickname ‘The City of Eternal Spring’.
San Lorenzo de Aburrá was the first indigenous pueblo in what would eventually turn into Medellín. It was erected in the modern day neighborhood of El Poblado in 1616.
Here are the Best things to do in Medellin Colombia : Free Tours, Comuna 13, get a Viewpoint , Plaza Botero and its sculptures, Parque Berrio, Palacio Nacional, Parque de las Luces, Las Alpujarras, stroll Avenida Carabobo, Subway & Cable Tour, Museo de Antioquia, Jardin Botanico , Museo el Castillo.Get to Some Viewpoints (Las Palmas, Nutibara, etc…)
What to see around Medellin ?
Medellín also has interesting escapes that can be done in the same day, although if you have time and want to stay overnight it is far better
Here some of the best places to go : Guatapé, Santa Fé de Antioquia, Jardin, Jerico, Concepcion
- For More Details read our complete guide : Best things to do in Medellin Colombia
What it the best month to visit Medellin ?
As its nickname “the city of eternal spring” indicates, there are no bad dates to visit Medellín since due to its location in the Aburrá Valley, at an altitude of between 1500 and 1800 meters above sea level.
It enjoys a pleasant spring climate with temperatures between 16º and 28º all year round, with an annual average of 22º.
At the level of rains, these are relatively abundant throughout the year.
So the best time to Visit Medellin is the driest season, with less days of rain, which includes the months of December to March, ideal months also for other areas of Colombia as the Caribbean, the coffee axis, etc.
See Also : Best time to visit Colombia
Here are the dishes that you absolutely need to taste if you travel to Medellin :
- La bandeja paisa : made with beans, rice, fried eggs, chorizo, etc.)
- Arepa (corn cake)
- Tamal (made with grilled pork, rice and vegetables).
- Morcilla (it is a kind of blood sausage with rice)
- La mantecada (vanilla cake)
- postre de nata (milk cream cake).
- Colombian coffee
- Rum Medellín
La Bandeja Paisa
It is a super heavy and rich dish.
It has a kind of sausage, blood sausage, pork rinds, a good piece of bacon.
Besides this, it has rice, beans, patacones (fried plantains), avocado, hogao (tomato with onion).
There is still more?
Yes, arepas antioqueñas and ground beef (shredded meat).
If you are not much of a eater, I recommend that you share your bandeja paisa.
- See also : Colombian Food and Drinks
How many days should I spend in Medellin ?
We understand that in a 2 week trip through Colombia you can’t dedicate all the time you deserve to Medellin but you can save at least 2 full days for the city and count on investing at least one more day in one of its surrounding towns.
Where to take a Drink ?
El Poblado neighbourhood is THE trendy district of the city, one of the most touristic too. This is where the city’s main hotels are located.
So, of course, if you are looking for authenticity and locality, this is probably not the best place but it is still a very pleasant and green area with many bars and restaurants.
Ideally, you should stroll through its streets and drop in wherever you feel like it because of the atmosphere or the music.
What to Pack for Medellin ?
Tennis, light clothing, sunscreen, sunglasses, umbrella, but be also prepared for colder temperature if you go in the to the main viewpoints
Where is the best area to Stay in Medellín ?
The best neighborhood to stay in Medellin is El Poblado : It is a totally safe place, even to go out at night, with a lot of offer of restaurants & bars of all kinds, but very expat.
If you are looking for something more local, another option would be to stay in Laureles and finally an area that is gaining more visibility with several accommodations is Envigado
Practical Adresses for Visiting Medellin
Medellin is a city with absolutely all the necessary services a traveller can ever need : banks, exchange offices, call shops, internet cafes, post office, big malls, photography & drone shops, motorcycle accessories, Decathlon.
Before departure it is strongly advised to consult your doctor and to subscribe to an insurance covering medical expenses and medical repatriation.
For any emergency dial 123.
The hospitals of the city:
Clinica Las Americas
- Diagonal 75 B-2 A-80
- Medellin, Colombia
- + 57 4 342 1010.
- Sede el Poblado
- Carrera 7 N.39-290
- Medellin, Colombia
- + 57 4 311 2800.
If you travel long term and need equipment for your trip: backpack, hiking shoes, camping, etc… There are 2 decathlons in the city, and you will find everything
If you have any problem with your Mac, or Drone
What Souvenirs to bring back from Medellin
Don’t leave Medellin without bringing back some souvenirs of your stay such as
- Local Hats (Vuelteao)
- Semi Precious Stones
- Ruana (Colombian poncho)
- A Bottle of Aguardiente
The Best Areas to buy souvenirs in Medellin are :
- Poblado Park
- Lleras Park
- City Center
- Pueblito Paisa
- Comuna 13
Now Your Turn
Now I would like to know, do you have any question ?
Or maybe do you have some information to add ?
Either way, let me know in the comments below