- La Gran Piedra de Santiago de Cuba: Travel Guide
- El Cobre Santiago de Cuba: Complete Travel Guide
- Baconao National Park: Complete Travel Guide
- El Yunque National Park: Complete Travel Guide
- Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca del Morro
- Best Hotels in Baracoa
- Best Casa Particular and Bnb in Baracoa
- 8 Best Things to Do in Soroa Cuba
- Baracoa: Best Things to Do & Travel Guide
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park: Travel Guide
At the mouth of the Yumurí River, in the Yumurí Canyon, the small community of Boca de Yumurí is located about 30 kilometers southeast of Baracoa.
To get there, you can take a cab from the center of town: 25 CUC for the round trip (the cab will wait for you to take you back to Baracoa).
When you arrive at Boca de Yumurí, you will have to pay an admission fee to the visitors’ center: from 2 to 13 CUC depending on the option you choose: boat tour, short or long hike… A guide will accompany you during your visit to Boca de Yumurí.
Things to do in Boca de Yumurí
In addition to the magnificent view from the mirador of Boca de Yumurí, it is also the incredible diversity of flora and fauna that tourists come to admire.
You will find plants, some of which are medicinal, birds and butterflies in profusion.
The Yumurí Canyon is also famous for its polimitas, an endemic species of snails.
Beware, some street vendors may offer to buy them, but polimitas are an endangered species: to protect them, you must resist the temptation!
On site, you can take a boat ride, cool off in the crystal clear waters of the Yumurí River and follow the various hiking trails to discover the canyon.
Remember to bring your mask and snorkel because you can even snorkel to discover rock fish and crayfish.
On your way to Boca de Yumurí, don’t miss a stop at the Túnel de los Alemanes, a natural tunnel made of trees.