Due to the US embargo, Cuba often has problems getting basic food supplies.
So take the waiters’ “No hay” answer lightly when there are only 3 options available out of the 20 on the menu.
The cheapest restaurants are the state restaurants, called Paladar.
Private restaurants offer the finest cuisine, but prices are correspondingly higher.
A list of the best addresses in the city, classified by category.
- Las mejores cosas que hacer cerca de Santiago de Cuba
- La Gran Piedra de Santiago de Cuba: Guía de viaje
- Carnaval de Santiago de Cuba: una explosión de música, baile y colores
- El Cobre Santiago de Cuba: Guía completa de viaje
- Parque Nacional de Baconao: Guía completa de viaje
- Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca del Morro
- El aeropuerto Antonio Maceo de Santiago de Cuba
- Los mejores hoteles de playa en Santiago de Cuba
- La mejor época para visitar Santiago de Cuba
- Where to take Music and Dances Classes in Santiago de Cuba?
This spectacular colonial house, former residence of Bacardi, has a beautiful courtyard and two terraces upstairs.
If you are lucky, you will even be treated to a piano concert during your meal.
The kitchen is of very basic quality, but the setting is well worth a visit, if only for a Mojito.
Attention, please: No shorts or T-shirts.
- Bartolomé Masó, 354, between Hartmann y Pío Rosado
- Tel: 22 623 507
- Price: 2-8 Cuc
- Service: daily midday to midnight
The St Pauli has one of the finest kitchens in Santiago.
Professional service, accustomed to receiving groups.
- Tel: 22 65 22 92
- Address: Enramada #605 e/ Barnada y Plácido
- Price: 12-20 Cuc
- Email: [email protected]
- Service: 12:00 – 23:00 Monday – Thursday, 12:00 – 00:00 Friday – Sunday
- Facebook / TripAdvisor : stpaulirestaurantstgo
Located in the Vista Alegre district, the Zunzun is housed in a period bourgeois house.
- Address: 159 Manduley Avenue – Calle 7, Vista Alegre,
- Tel: 22 64 15 28
- Service: 12:00 noon to 10:00 p.m.
- Price: 12 – 18 Cuc
- House Specialty: Enchilado – Lobster
Restaurant El Barracón
El Barracón highlights Cuban culture and its African roots
The interior of the restaurant has a mixture of Santería and cimarrón (runaway slave) atmosphere.
- Address: Avenida Garzón between Calle 1ra. y Aponte.
- Telephone: 22 66 18 77
- Service: 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Meals: 3 – 9 Cuc
- Specialty: Afro-Cuban food.
- Speciality of the house: El caldero
Restaurant Don Antonio
Located in Plaza Dolores, the restaurant Don antonio offers dishes of Cuban standards at reasonable prices in national currency. The wait can be long
- Address: Aguilera S/N, Calvario y Reloj,Manzana de La Plaza Dolores
- Phone : 22 65 22 05 | 22 65 16 03
- Hours of service: 12:00 to 12:00.
- Specialty: Cuban Dishes
- Specialty of the house: Chicken Rice Chorrera
This magnificent restaurant in one of the oldest houses is ideally located one block away from Parc Céspedes.
You can eat indoors in the large dining room, or on the balcony overlooking the Casa de la Trova.
The food is typically Cuban, and the service is friendly.
- Address: Heredia n° 251 between San Félix y el Callejón
- Tel: 22 62 48 78
- Service: 12h – 23h every day
- Meals: 6 – 15 Cuc
Cerverceria Puerto del Rey
On the Alameda, in a converted warehouse among the port buildings. The place to go for a variety of beers brewed according to Austrian technology. You can also get ice cream upstairs, while downstairs food is served and there is music until midnight.
- Address: Avenida Jesús Menéndez esquina Duvergel
- Tel : 22 66 93 04
- Hours: 4pm – 00am Monday, 12pm – 00am Tuesday to Sunday
Bodeguita del Medio
Located on Enramada Street, the main artery of Santiago, the Bodeguita del Medio sums up the reputation of its big sister in Havana.
High quality service, Creole food and typical dishes from the south-eastern region. But also a quality bar with great live music in the evening.
Ideal for groups.
- Address: Enramadas Street, San Pedro and Corona.
- Tel: 22 65 27 55 ext. 215, 22 65 16 03
- Price: 6 – 10 Cuc
- Service: 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Specialty: Creole food.
- Speciality of the house: roast pork à la santiaguera.
Excellent food. This restaurant is one of the oldest in Santiago paying homage to one of the greatest singer-songwriters in Cuba: Matamoros.
There is often live music to liven up the meal.
- Address: Calvario Street, at the esquina d’Aguilera, in the city center (Plaza Dolores)
- Price: 5 – 15 Cuc
- Telephone: 22 68 6459
- Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Specialty: Creole food
Restaurant Hotel Casa Granda
Overlooking Parque Céspedes, the terrace café of Casa Granda, must be one of the best places to watch people in Cuba. In terms of food, we are talking about snacks (hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc.).
- Tel: 22 65 30 21
- Address: Heredia No 201, Casa Granda
- Snacks: 2 – 8 Cuc
- Schedule : 09h – 00h
Restaurant Hotel Enramadas
If you are looking for a little luxury, this is one of the most elegant restaurants in the city, located at the bottom of Enramada street, near the Malecon.
Price: 2-3 Cuc
Upstairs, in a typical narrow street in Santiago, on the edge of the city centre, Compay Gallo makes classic Cuban cuisine with mixed results.
Tel: 22 65 83 95
Address: Máximo Gómez No 503 altos
Price: 4-10 Cuc
Hours: 12h – 23h
Cafeteria Hotel Imperial
Very well located, 1 block from Parc Cespedes, the place is clean, quiet.
Various salads, sandwiches, hamburgers and pizzas. Ideal for lunch
Price: 2 – 7 Cuc
Very good cooking in a colonial period house
Good hidden address. Excellent cuisine at a very reasonable price, in local currency.
You will find it going up the enramada street, before arriving at the Plaza de Marte.
- Price: 2 – 5 Cuc
Plaza de Armas
The place is beautiful, but unfortunately the restaurant can’t afford to do well. The pizzas are not much better than the street pizzas, with a taste of microwave reheated.
- Address: Esq. Aguilera and Parque Cespedes
La Fabada de Marieta
Located down enramada street a few blocks away from Parc Cespedes, this restaurant is one of Santiago’s favorites.
Original and well-presented cuisine, accompanied by a sound group to liven up the meal.
Fish, Shrimp, Cerdo, etc…
Ideal for groups.
Price : 3,5 a 5 Cuc | 12 Cuc for the Langosta Enchilada
Address: Enramadas esq Padre Pico
Tel : 22 66 93 58
Email: [email protected]
Restaurant El Morro
Spectacular location on a cliffside with a breathtaking view of the sea.
It is very popular with travel agencies.
Ideal if you are planning a visit to Cayo GranMa because it is located right next to the Ciudadmar pier.
Dinner is available upon reservation.
- Tel : 22 69 15 76
- Address: Castillo del Morro
- Price: 6-12 Cuc
- Hours: 12:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Other Excellent Restaurants in Santiago :
- Sabor Cubano
- Ana’s balcony
- El Balcon de la Gorda
- El Baturrito
- Rough Garden Casa Grande
- Casa Grande Cafeteria
- Casa de la Tradicion
- La Careta
- Taberna de Dolores
- Restaurant Hotel Imperial
Ahora te toca a ti
Ahora me gustaría saber, ¿tienes alguna pregunta?
¿O quizás tiene alguna información que añadir?
En cualquier caso, hágamelo saber en los comentarios a continuación