Country code: +57
Departmental Code (main cities)
- 1: Cundinamarca (Bogotá).
- 2: Valle del Cauca (Cali, Buenaventura) – Cauca (Popayán) – Nariño (Pasto).
- 4: Antioquia (Medellín).
- 5: Atlántico (Barranquilla) – Bolívar (Cartagena) – La Guajira (Riohacha) – Magdalena (Santa Marta).
- 6: Quindio (Armenia) – Caldas (Manizales) – Risaralda (Pereira).
- 7: Santander (Bucaramanga, San Gil) – Norte de Santander (Cucuta).
- 8: Amazonas (Leticia) – Huila (San Agustín) – Boyacá (Tunja, Villa deeyva) – San Andrés and Providencia.
- Colombia Travel: Complete Tourism Guide
- Best things to do in Colombia
- Medellín Colombia: Complete Travel Guide
- Tayrona Park Beaches : Complete Guide
- Tayrona Park : The Complete Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Tayrona Park
- Bogotá Colombia: Complete Travel Guide
- Villa de Leyva Colombia: Complete Travel Guide
- Santa Marta Colombia: Complete Travel Guide
- San Agustin Colombia : Complete Travel Guide
How to phone?
From France to Colombia. 00 + 57 + area code + the 7 digits of the local number (example: call Cali: 00 + 57 + 2 + 313 3520).
From Colombia to France or abroad (there are three national operators: 5 from Orbitel, 7 from Mundo and 9 from Telecom). 00 + (5, 7 or 9 depending on the operator) + the country code + area code without the 0 + local number (example: call Biarritz: 00 + 5 (or 7 or 9) + 33 + 5 + 85 64 24 33.
In Colombia from one region to another. 0 + 5 (or 7 or 9) + country code + area code + the 7 digits of the local number (example: from Providencia to Bogotá: 0 + 5 (or 7 or 9) + 1 + 313 3520).
- Making local calls from Colombia to Colombia The 7 digits of the local number (example: from Bogotá to Bogotá: 313 3520).
- Call a mobile phone from a landline: 03 + 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 or 315 (depending on the operator) + the 7 digits of the mobile phone.
- Calling a landline from a mobile phone: 03 + the region code (e.g. 5 for Cartagena) + the caller’s number.
- Calling a mobile phone from another mobile phone. Operator number (310, 311, 312, 313, 314 or 315) + the 7 digits of the caller’s number.
Cost of the telephone
Local calls cost $200 per minute. If you own a Movistar and call a Movistar, it only costs you about $100 per minute, but if you call a Claro or Tigo for example, the rate goes up to $1,000 per minute.
Most people in Colombia today use Whatsapp more than the normal telephone channel.
Cable and fibre optics have long since invaded major cities, providing high-speed connections in the many Internet cafés. In the rest of the country, there are few towns or villages without a connection point. Wi-fi is also very common.
Telephone & Internet
The country has a good mobile phone network and several operators (Movistar, Claro or Tigo).
It is necessary to have a tri-band telephone, check that your operator has an agreement with a local operator and that the “world” option is activated on your phone.
Otherwise, the “minutos” allow you to borrow a mobile phone from a mobile provider for a few cents a minute.
From France to Colombia, add 0057 in front of the 7-digit telephone number (Example: 00 57 1 702 70 69).
From Colombia to France, add 00 + operator number (5, 7 or 9) + 33 + telephone number.
(Example: 00 5 33 4 50 46 90 25)
For landline phones, the 1st digit is the area code.
Mobile phones start with 3 and have a total of 10 digits.
- Long distance: From Colombia to Colombia (from different regions), add 0 + 5, 7 or 9 (telecom code) in front of the phone number (Example: 0 + 5 (7 or 9) + 1 + 702 70 69).
- Local: From Colombia to Colombia (same region), only tel.
(Example: 702 70 69 if you are in Bogota and you call Bogota).
For Internet, you will find wifi zones in restaurants and hotels, so you can bring your laptop.
Otherwise, in all cities, you will have no trouble finding Internet cafes.