Best time to visit Cuba at Glance
Going to Cuba is possible throughout the year.
Indeed, if the rainy season extends from May to October, it is still possible to spend a week in the dry under a radiant sun.
However, the period from November to April is still the most pleasant, and people with allergies to crowds will only avoid Christmas, Easter and the 1st of May and the 26th of July.
Cuba enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from 22 to 30 degrees.
Best time to visit Cuba – Essentials
- Best time of the year to visit Cuba : November & Dicember
- Best month for cheap hotels : October
- Best month for cheap flights : September
- Best time to visit Havana : October to May
- What is the cheapest month to go to cuba : April & May
- What is the best month to go to Varadero Cuba : January, February, March, April, May, December
- When is hurricane season in cuba : June to November
- Best Time to Visit Cuba for Good Weather : November to April
- Best Time to Visit Cuba for Honeymoon : November to May
- What is the hottest month in Cuba : August
- When is the dry Season in Cuba : from November to April
- When is the rainy season in Cuba : from May to October
- Best time for beaches and swimming : November to April
- Best time to visit Cuba with kids : from May to October
- Best time to visit Cuba for sightseeing : All the year
- Best month to avoid crowd : June
- High Season : February, August and December
- Mid Season : January, February, March, April, August & December.
- Low Season : May, June, July, September, October & November.
- When to book hotel : April to June
Best time to visit Cuba for Weather
|Month 📅||Temperatures 🌡️||Rain ☔|
As with all tropical climates, there are two well differentiated seasons, the Dry season and the Rainy Season
- From November to April
- Mild temperatures between 18°C and 28°C.
- Characterized by low rainfall
- Sea temperature : 25°C in average
- coldest month : January
What to visit in Cuba during the dry season?
Dry season is best for :
- Sightseeing : Havana, Trinidad, Santiago de Cuba, etc…
- Hiking : Parque Guanayara, Hanabanilla Lake, Sierra de Escambray
- From May to October
- Higher temperature – between 22°C to 31°C
- Is punctuated by violent but short showers, the sun is usually shining most of the time and you will still find time to sunbathe!
- Sea Temperature : between 27°C and 30°C
- Hottest month : August
- Most quantity of rain : June & October
- Northern zone of Cuba is usually more rainy than southern zone.
- Humidity is 80%, which considerably increases the sensation of warmth
What to do in Cuba during the rainy season?
- Beaches & Swimming : the water temperature is around 28°. Consider beaches like Varadero, Los Cayos, playa Maguana or Playa Nava.
- Wander the streets of colonial cities
- Ride in an old-fashioned car
When is hurricane season in cuba
The hurricane season begins in Cuba on June and ends on November.
The months with more probabilities are: October with 43 hurricanes registered since 1791, followed by September with 35 and August with 18.
That said, don’t panic! has a warning system to avoid personal and material damage, and tourists are systematically warned and evacuated if necessary.
So avoid this season if you want to travel in good weather and without fear of cancellation.
Conclusion : So Dry Season or Rainy season, what is the best time ?
Attending to the climate, the best thing is therefore to visit Cuba in the dry, cooler season, avoiding this way the excessive heat, the rains and the hurricanes.
Nevertheless during rainy season, the weather remains pleasant enough to allow tourists to enjoy their stay.
See also this in depth article : weather in Cuba
Best time to visit Cuba per City
Best time to visit Havana : January, February, March, April, May, October, November and December
Best time to visit Varadero : January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
Best time to visit Trinidad : January, February, March, April, November and December.
Best time to visit Vinales : January, February, March, April, May, October, November and December.
Best time to visit Cayo Coco : January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, October, November and December.
Best time to visit Holguin : January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
Best time to visit Santiago de Cuba : January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
Best time to visit Baracoa : January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
For precise weather information on every city in Cuba we recommend the WeatherSpark website which is very detailed.
Which are the months of high and low season in Cuba?
This season also corresponds to the high tourist season. Indeed, in Europe and America, the climate is not in good shape and travellers take advantage of this time to go out in the sun.
Your travel budget is therefore likely to be higher compared to other periods.
High season in Cuba
- Extends from November to April and from June 22 to the end of August (This period corresponds to the holidays of the Cubans, who also take the beaches by storm.)
- The weather is more pleasant during the high season.
- Prices of the hotels are 30% higher (those of the particular houses raise less, approximately 5 cuc daily…).
- Flights in high season are usually cheaper in November and from January 6, before and after Christmas. At Easter prices rise again.
- Havana is particularly popular during this period, with Canadians in particular, fleeing the polar temperatures.
- During high season it is safer to book your accommodation in advance.
Low season in Cuba
- Extends from April to June 22.
- Is quieter and cheaper (you can find bargains)
- Some hotels offer fewer services.
- although tourist numbers increase during the months of July and August.
- During high season you don’t need to book your accommodation in advance.
- The risk of hurricanes is greater between June and November, and it rains more often.
Conclusion : high Season or low Season, when to go ?
If you prefer to avoid the hordes of tourists, high season is not the best season to go to Cuba.
If your budget is tight, the low season is the best time to go to Cuba.
Best time to visit Cuba for planning Activities
Best time for sightseeing : Cuba is conducive to sightseeing throughout the year. You will be able to choose the moment that suits you best to combine cultural discoveries with relaxing stays.
Best time to visit Cuba for dancing salsa : All the year
Best time to visit Cuba Festivals and Carnivals : July (Santiago Carnival), National day 26th of July and and of August (Havana Carnival)
Best time to visit Cuba for Tobaco harvest : March and April
Best time to visit Cuba for birdwatching : April to july (Tocororo “Cuban Trogon”)
Best time to visit Cuba for fishing : february to july
Best time to visit Cuba for kite surfing : November to april
Best time to visit Cuba for beaches : November to april (the sea temperature usually fluctuates between 25°C and 26°C in the dry season and between 27°C and 30°C in the hottest season)
Best time to visit Cuba for scuba diving : November to April (Isla de la Juventud, Playa Santa Lucia, Bahia de los Cochinos, etc…)
Best time to visit Cuba nightlife & parties : April is best, but all the year as well
Best time to visit Cuba for honey moon : november to may
Best time to visit Cuba for eating lobsters : june to february
Best time to visit Cuba Trekking & National Parks : between November and April (Ciénaga de Zapata, hiking in Topes de Collantes, etc…)
Best time to visit Cuba for wildlife : between November and April (Parque Nacional Alejandro de Humbolt, Rio Maximo, Ciénaga Zapata), Crab migration (april), September–November (Monarch Butterfly Mi
When is the cheapest time to visit Cuba ?
The best time to travel to Cuba is in the dry season from November to April. What happens, is that it coincides with the high season too, and hotels are more expensive.
You should know that what is more expensive in high season, are the hotels and flights (these not throughout the season).
If you are going to stay in private houses (the price hardly varies 5 cuc per day…), you will only be affected by the price of the flight, since the leisure options in Cuba (restaurants, attractions and museums, will have the same price…
If you also want to take into account your economy:
A good month can be May and even the end of April, since the high season is over, it is not as hot as the summer months, and it is one of the months with less rain ( outside the dry season… ). Also, it is not hurricane season.
Average price of hotels in Cuba – The best period for the best prices
Overall, the month when the price of a hotel room is the cheapest in Cuba is October. So it’s a good time to go out and save money!
Conversely, January is statistically the highest month of the year in the hotel industry.
DETAIL BY CATEGORIES AND TYPES OF HOTELS
1 star hotel – The average price for a night in a 1 star hotel is €32. This price varies during the year by 13 €. The best price is in May (29 €) while the highest price is in August (42 €).
2-star hotel – The average price for a night in a 2-star guesthouse/hotel is 43 €. This price varies only slightly from month to month. Thus, the best price is in October (40 €) and the highest price is in January (44 €).
3-star hotel – The average price for a night in a 3-star hotel is €84. This price varies during the year by 27 €. The best price is in October (73 €) while the highest price is in January (100 €).
4-star hotel – The average price for a night in a 4-star hotel is €177. This price varies during the year by 66 €. The best price is in October (144 €) while the highest price is in March (210 €).
5 star hotel – The average price for a night in a palace (5 stars) is 213 €. This price varies during the year from 82 €. The best price is in October (179 €) while the highest price is in January (261 €).
Hostel/Antel – The average price for one night in a hostel or youth hostel (dormitory or room for 2 adults) is 39 €. This price varies very little from month to month. Thus, the best price is in October (37 €) and the highest price is in January (40 €).
Room with kitchen – The average price for one night in a hotel room with kitchenette is 46 €. This price varies during the year by 6 €. The best price is in September (43 €) while the highest price is in January (49 €).
Hotel with swimming pool – The average price for one night in a hotel with a shared swimming pool is €104. This price varies throughout the year by 29 €. The best price is in October (92 €) while the highest price is in February (121 €).
Gîte or guest house – The average price for a night in a gîte or guest house is 45 €. This price varies only slightly from month to month. For example, the best price is in October (43 €) and the highest price is in January (46 €).
Family room – The average price for one night in a family hotel room (sleeps 2 adults and 2 children) is €146. This price varies during the year by 40 €. The best price is in October (127 €) while the highest price is in January (167 €).
Best time to visit Cuba with cheap flights
Prices for flights between Canada and Cuba generally range from CAD 500 to CAD 1,300 depending on the time of year, with an average fare of around CAD 850.
And to find the best flights to Cuba, we also advise you to take a look at the offers of the comparator Skyscanner
Average price of flights to Cuba from Canada according to the season :
Visit Cuba month by month
There are events all the year in Cuba.
Visit Cuba in January
1 day we celebrate the New Year and the Triumph of the Revolution.
Special Events in january
- Festival international de jazz – Havana
- Premio Literarío – La Havana
- Semana de la cultura trinitaria – Trinidad
Visit Cuba in February
it takes advantage in the Havana to visit the Fair of the Book and the Festival of the Havana (last week).
Also it is ideal to see in Viñales the Tobacco harvest.
Special Events in february
- Feria internacional del libro de la Havana
- Semana de la cultura Camagüeyana
Visit Cuba in March
the first week is celebrated in Havana, the Festival of the drum and the Percussion.
If you go more than 15 days, I advise you to visit Nueva Gerona ( Isla de la Juventud ) and that you live the Festival of the Grapefruit.
Special Events in march
- Festival del Són – Santiago de Cuba
- Semana de la cultura Camagüeyana
Visit Cuba in April
in Gíbara there is celebrated the Festival of the Poor Cinema and in San Antonio de Los Baños the International Festival of the Humor.
Special Events in april
- Festival internacion del Cine pobre – Gibara
- Festival de la huella de España – La Havana
- Tivoli Festical – Santiago de Cuba
Visit Cuba in May
on the 1st there is the military parade and the first week in Holguín, they celebrate the Romerías of May.
Special Events in May
- French Film Festical – La Havana
- International Festical of the poetry – La Havana
- Romerías de Mayo – Holguín
Visit Cuba in June
the last week of June, the Sanjuaneras Celebrations are celebrated in Trinidad, where cowboys gallop their horses by the streets.
Special Events in June
- Camagüey Carnival – Camagüey
- Internation festival de Boleros de Oro – La Havana
- Fiestas Sanjuaneras – Trinidad
- Jornada Cucalambeana – Las Tunas
Visit Cuba in July
at the end of July there is celebrated the Carnival of Santiago de Cuba and on the 26th the Attack to the Moncada Barracks.
Special Events in July
- Santiago de Cuba’s Carnival
- Havana Carnival – La Habana
- Caribbean Festival – Santiago
Visit Cuba in August
In this month the Cubans are in the habit of being on holiday and they fill beaches and hotels.
Also the Carnival of Havana is celebrated, generally between August 8-12.
Special Events in August
- International Rap Habana Hip Hop Festival – La Havana
Visit Cuba in September
It is the month of the return to school.
The International Festival of Music Benny Moré is celebrated in Cienfuegos and on September 8 the Party of The Charity of the Copper, Patroness of Cuba.
Special Events in September
- Festival Nacional del Teatro de Camagüey
Visit Cuba in October
the International Festival of the Ballet is celebrated in Havana.
Special Events in October
- Festical de teatro de la Habana
- Fiesta de la cultura Ibero americana
Visit Cuba in November
the International Jazz Festival is held in Havana and also at the end of the month Marabana, a marathon which is becoming more and more popular every year.
Special Events in november
- Festival de raices Africanas Wemilere – Guanabacoa
Visit Cuba in December
the International Festival of New Latin American Cinema, the San Lázaro Procession on the 17th, Las Parrandas de Remedios on the 24th and Las Charangas de Bejucal on the 24th are also held.
As if that wasn’t enough, you can live the celebration of the 31st, a real show in Cuba. All over the country people are roasting pigs, often whole ones, for this day.
Special Events in
- Festival Interaction del Nuevo Cine LatinoAmericano – La Havana
- Fiesta a la Guantanamera – Guantánamo
- Havana International Jazz Festival – La Havana
- San Lázaro – Trinidad
- Santa Bárbara – Trinidad
So in summary, when is the best time to visit Cuba?
In short, if you still don’t know when to travel to Cuba, November and December are the best months to go.
Temperatures are milder, but it is still a good time to enjoy the beaches, where the water temperature will be good.
Between January and March there are also good months, but in April it is warmer.
The best time to go will depend on your priorities :
If you need sunbathing, hiking, sightseeing, the dry season enjoys more pleasant weather but it is also the high season in Cuba.
However, if you travel on a budget, want to avoid crowds, want to go to the beach, travel with kids or want to take advantage of the major carnivals, rainy season will be the good time to go.
Finally, the only period to avoid for a stay in Cuba is the hurricane season, between August and October. They regularly hit the coasts of Cuba bringing with them torrential rains and violent winds. Although the climate is generally good during this period, travelers often prefer to exercise caution.
So there you have it.
You now know the best time to visit Cuba
Now all you have to do is plan you itinerary to Cuba and choose the months that best suit your trip.
Now I’d like to hear from you :
Do you have any questions about your trip planning to Cuba ?
Or maybe I didn’t mention one of your favorite travel tips ?
Either way let me know by leaving a comment below