Knowing when is the best time to visit Colombia is not an easy thing to do because each region has a different climate depending on its altitude and geographic position.
Cartagena being located on the Caribbean coast, has two very marked seasons.
A humid one that coincides with the winter in South America, and another dry one that corresponds with the summer
The best time to travel to Cartagena de Indias is from December to April
The temperature in this period is around 28ºC and can reach temperatures up to 31ºC
The rains, are not very frequent and of scarce milliliters
It is also the time of more tourist affluence and where everything becomes a little more expensive.
When to travel to Cartagena de indias
The seasons to travel to Cartagena de Indias
Here is a small diagram of how the seasons are composed.
- High season: from December to February. The temperatures are very pleasant as always and we are in the dry period.
- Medium season: March and April, where temperatures remain favourable, but some rain can be perceived a little more frequently, but it is still a good time to visit. The tourist influx decreases considerably and with it the prices.
- Low season: From May to November, where high rainfall and cyclones, make it not a good time to visit Cartagena.
The worst time to travel to Cartagena de Indias
And just as we have a dry season, there is also a wet season.
Where rains and cyclones overshadow the high temperatures that govern the city.
The wet season consists of the months from May to November, where on average 227mm of water is expected to fall through the rain.
Although the average temperature expected is about 30°C or more.
For precise weather information on when the best to visit Cartagena for weather, we recommend the WeatherSpark website which is very detailed.
- Cartagena Colombia : Complete Travel Guide
- Best things to do in Cartagena Colombia
- Best Cartagena Travel Videos
- Where to Stay in Cartagena
- History of Cartagena de Indias
- Cartagena Nightlife : Best Bars, Rooftops & Live Music
- How to get to Cartagena: flights, buses & boats
- 63 Best Tourist Attractions in Cartagena: Full List
- Best Hotels in Cartagena
- Top 8 Best Beaches in Cartagena
Best time to visit Cartagena for Weather
Cartagena has a tropical climate, where in its dry season, humidity is around 85% and temperatures are around 31ºC or perhaps more.
The average rainy day is 6, and the winds blow towards the end of the afternoon, making the humidity much more bearable.
For the wet season, Cartagena keeps its usual humidity adding up: rainfall of about 90 days of the wet season with rain; many clouds covering the sun; but temperatures of 30ºC are kept.
The rainiest month is October.
To these we must add the tropical storms and cyclones.
Cartagena de Indias has a typically tropical climate, hot all year round with minimal seasonal temperature changes.
Seasonal differences occur only in the amount of rain that falls and not in the temperature.
Based on rainfall we can distinguish two seasons, the hot and dry period between December and April, where it hardly ever rains, in these five months, the days of rain, in fact, on average, are only 6.
While between May and November we have the rainy season, hot and humid, during these months, the days of rain, on average, are 90.
The amount of annual precipitation that falls in Cartagena de Indias is a little over 1,000 mm, for a total of 98 rainy days.
The hours of sunshine in this Colombian Caribbean city exceed 2,600 per year.
The average maximum temperatures are for the whole year around 30°C/31°C, while the average minimum temperatures vary between 23°C and 25°C.
Humidity is always high and remains stable at around 80% throughout the year.
The winds blow, especially in the late afternoon, and when they do, they bring relief.
The temperature of the sea water varies between 27°C and 29°C.
Best time to Visit Cartagena for weather : month by month
- January : the weather is fair, but still correct. At midday, the average temperature is 33° and it rains about 9mm every month.
- February : the climate is favourable. For example, the maximum temperature in February is 33°.
- March and April : the climate is not favourable, but remains correct. In the early evening the temperature is on average 31° and it rains about 126mm every month.
- May and June : the climate is unfavourable. On average, in the morning it is 28° and you can expect 227mm of precipitation/month during this period.
- July : the climate is very unfavourable. The thermometer climbs to 35° and you can expect 179mm of rainfall per month during this period.
- August to November : the climate is unfavourable. At noon, the average temperature is 33° and it rains about 285mm every month.
- December : the climate is not favourable, but remains correct. The temperature rises up to 33°.
Now Your Turn
Now I would like to know, do you have any question ?
Or maybe do you have some information to add ?
Either way, let me know in the comments below