In Habana Vieja, in general, you will find many restaurants offering traditional Cuban cuisine and rather state restaurants established there for decades.
In this particularly touristy area, the emphasis is on authenticity, but it is not necessarily where you will eat best.
Finally, you should know that if you eat on the terrace, maybe after your second meal in the neighborhood, you won’t be able to hear the small music group that sings the latest hits from the Buena Vista Social Club or Guantanamera.
But who says tourism in Cuba, sometimes says kitsch folklore…
- 16 Best Things to See in Havana Vieja
- Best places to visit in Havana Cuba
- Havana Transportation : How to get around Habana
- Havana Weather : Best time to visit
- Best Theaters and Cinema in Havana Cuba
- Salsa Bar in Havana : Live Music & Shows
- Havana Practical Information
- Havana’s Districts
- Best Restaurants in Havana Miramar
- Best Restaurants in Havana El Vedado
- Between Obispo and Obrapía Calle Oficios n° 12
- +53 7 867 1041
- Open every day from noon to midnight
- Count from 10 to 15 CUC the meal.
Live music in the patio at the end of the afternoon.
Arabic cuisine, with classic dishes from North Africa, the Near and Middle East.
Even vegetarians will find their happiness thanks to the vegetarian mezze (8 CUC).
The setting is however much more attractive than the cuisine, but the whole is still good value for money.
Al Medina is housed in the house acquired in 1689 by Bishop Diego Evelino de Compostela to house the San Ambrosio College, the first college for the religious instruction of children in the city of Havana.
The red stone arcade of the building, the roofs and galleries, the large interior patio decorated with flowers and a vine that covers it entirely offer a synthesis of the Moorish style inherited from Spain, which strongly influenced Cuban architecture in the 17th century.
Poems by José Martí can be read on the ground floor and the first floor. The lesser-known poems are on display on the first floor.
One poem praises the Arab men and women and, right next to it, there is a long poem about the… hashish that the hero of the Cuban Revolution used to consume.
The restaurant has also become a meeting place for the Arab student community on certain nights of the week.
However, the place used to be a former monk’s convent, so…
- 60 Callejón del Chorro near Plaza de la Catedral
- +53 7 861 1332 / +53 5 270 6433
- [email protected]
- Open every day from 11am to 11pm. Starters between 2 and 5 CUC,
- Dishes between 7 and 12 CUC, cocktails between 2 and 3 CUC.
One of the best paladares of the Habana Vieja.
Here you can eat traditional Cuban cuisine very well prepared in a colonial-style house.
The terrace is very pleasant because it is installed in a small dead end particularly quiet.
However, don’t forget to book if you go there to eat at the weekend because it is often full to bursting point!
Excellent value for money.
- Calle Teniente Rey At the corner of Bernaza
- +53 7 867 1029
- Cuisine criolla. Open every day from noon to midnight.
- Count between 5 and 10 CUC the dish.
- Excellent value for money.
You will settle down in the room, which overlooks the Plaza del Cristo always very lively, or in the patio.
Typical Cuban dishes (try the chicken salad, a treat!), accompanied by a good beer (Cristal or Bucanero).
Digestion is also easier after drinking the excellent mojito (2 CUC), which is much cheaper than at the Bodeguita del Medio.
Music groups perform frequently.
- Calle San Ignacio n° 77
- +53 7 867 3852
- Well located a stone’s throw from the cathedral.
- Open every day from 12:30 to 10:00 pm.
- Count from 8 to 10 CUC for a menu.
Antonio, very sympathetic owner, multiplies the passions.
Fan of football, especially Atletic Bilbao, he also collects tickets from all over the world, especially those issued before the Cuban revolution.
As for cooking, it is conventional, but always very correct and copious.
Warning: don’t confuse this restaurant with the establishment of the same name on the corner of Calle Empedrado and Calle Mercaderes, Calle Ignacio, as it is much less good!
Bar Caferia Cabaña
- Calle Cuba n° 12 At the corner of Peña Pobre
- +53 7 860 5670
- Open every day from 10am to 11pm.
- Category : Goog Table
Small restaurant specializing in chicken dishes, faithful to the roots of Cuban cuisine.
Accompaniments based on white rice, black beans, potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Not really great gastronomy, but the portions are copious.
Nice view on the entrance of the bay of Havana.
Bodeguita del Medio
- Between Cuba and San Ignacio
- Calle Empedrado n° 207
- +53 7 867 1374
- [email protected]
- Located a stone’s throw from the cathedral.
- Open every day, from 10:30 am to midnight for the bar, and from noon to midnight for the restaurant.
- Category Good Table
One of the most touristy restaurants in the capital.
Not so much because of its cuisine, which is mediocre and expensive, but because the writer Hemingway used to eat there at the time.
The faded blue walls, covered with graffiti and black and white photos of the stars who passed by, try to revive the whole thing.
Classic dishes based on rice, black beans and other meats, from 9 to 20 CUC for a lobster.
In short, you’ll go there more to soak up the myth than the rest…
Narrow but still lively bar with mojitos at 4 CUC: the legend has a price!
La Divina Pastora
- Cabaña Route, Parque Morro-Cabaña, La Habana del Este
- +53 7 860 8341
- Take the tunnel at the end of the Malecón, and take the first right at the exit in the direction of Castel del Morro.
- Open from Tuesday to Sunday, from noon to 11pm. Menu 25 CUC.
Watching the sunset from the restaurant’s lawn, facing Old Havana, by the sea, and right next to the San Carlos de la Cabaña fortress, will remain in your memories for a long time.
Plan to dine early – good fish and seafood – just to be able to reach the fortress for the cannonball ceremony at 9pm.
- Calle O’Reilly, corner of Mercaderes
- +53 7 662 918
- Italian food. Open from noon to midnight. Dishes from 10 to 20 CUC.
Probably one of the best Italian restaurants in Havana.
Preferably prefer the terrace, to enjoy the lively street and the beauty of the heritage of Habana Vieja.
The portions are generous, and the pasta is naturally always al dente.
A weakness for penne alla pulcinella, with anchovies and a tasty tomato cream.
- At the corner of Obispo Calle Oficios
- +53 7 862 0216
- Cuisine criolla. Open every day from 9am to 1am.
- Count 15 CUC for a meal, from 7 to 1O CUC for a pollo asado or a bistec de ternura.
On the magnificent Plaza de Armas, the establishment benefits from a beautiful shaded terrace always pleasant.
In front of the big trees and the stalls of the booksellers, the urban agitation will not have any more hold on your neurons.
Settle down quietly and savour the moment…
Try the finely sliced pork in Creole or the tamal en cazuela (fresh corn, grated and seasoned with spices and pork meat).
It is also possible to enjoy a well-deserved ice cream in this heat, light years away from ordinary worries.
Restaurante el Temple
- At the corner of Calle Narcisso Lopez Avenida del Puerto
- +53 7 866 8807
- [email protected]
- Open from noon to midnight.
- Count 35 CUC for the meal and 10 % more for the service.
One of the best tables to eat seafood or fish in Havana.
Blue and white checkered tablecloths, blue ceiling, all within a stone’s throw of the sea: the maritime tone is set.
On the wall, photos of all the personalities who have eaten there, among them: Dany Glover, Bill Murray, Sean Penn, Omara Portuondo, Sting…
Charles Aznavour came, insisted the boss, but they didn’t have time to take a picture of him.
In short, an excellent address if you like seafood.
- Plaza San Francisco de Asís
- +53 7 860 6686
- Open every day from noon to midnight. Dishes from 10 to 25 CUC.
A very elegant café-restaurant, with an architecture and careful decoration.
On the menu, fish with shrimps à la havanaise, lobster rings with lemon, chicken with pineapple and ham, cannelloni with ham and chorizo, and excellent French cakes.
Excellent menu and wide range of wines.
El meson de la Flota
- Calle Mercaderes n° 257 Between Amargura and Teniente Rey
- +53 7 863 3838
- Located near the Plaza Vieja. Count from 9 to 18 CUC, depending on the dishes. Flamenco show from 8:30 pm to 10 pm.
The sign declines the maritime universe in all its forms.
Charming setting with its wine display, its exposed stone wall and the few barrels placed in the corners.
Also with replicas of galleons and other elements related to the world of the sea.
Once seated at beautiful wooden tables, all you have to do is order and enjoy, in the evening, beautiful flamenco shows.
Factoria Plaza Vieja (Old Wall Bar)
- Calle San Ignacio
- At the corner of Muralla (Plaza Vieja)
- +53 7 866 4453
- Open every day, from 12 to 2 am.
- Skewers from 4,75 to 15 CUC, dishes from 7 to 14,50 CUC, sandwiches from 6 to 10 CUC.
Terrace and interior particularly pleasant for this elegant brasserie with its yellow façade and beautiful Hispanic arches, overlooking the Plaza Vieja.
Choice between fast food at low prices – good tapas and hearty hamburgers – or more solid and well-cooked dishes, especially grilled dishes.
Beer lovers will be overjoyed, as they are homemade!
The simple sight of the vats is enough to convince you of this.
- Havana Cuba : Complete Travel Guide
- 22 Best things to do in Havana Cuba
- Best Restaurants in Havana Cuba
- Nightlife in Havana : 17 Best Clubs & Discos
- Best Hotels in Havana Cuba
- 10 Best Havana Beaches : Complete Guide
- Havana History: From the foundation to today
- Where to Stay in Havana
- Best Tours in Havana
- Events, Fairs and Carnival in Havana Cuba
Now Your Turn
Now I would like to know, do you have any question ?
Or maybe do you have some information to add ?
Either way, let me know in the comments below